This short document is provided to as a simple set of instructions on how to install Hero Combat Manager for all versions after 1.12.
Why did things change
The free installer I was using no longer works. I don't have the time or interest in fixing it (it is open source but it seems to have been abandoned a while back). I have not found another open source installer that will let me make installers for Windows, Mac and 'Unix' flavored OSes. So I have returned to a very old school method, zip files.
What do you need
You will need a program that will unzip files.
Steps to follow to install Hero Combat Manager
This readme file is to help you with installing the Hero Combat Manager onto your computer.
- Unzip the hcm-package.zip into a temporary directory
You should have two files:
- ReadMe.txt - Same steps as you are reading now
- hcminstaller-#.##.zip - This zip file contains a version of Hero Combat Manager. The version number is based on #.## in the file name
- Unzip the hcminstaller-#.##.zip so that the HeroCombatManager folder (directory) is unzipped in a folder (directory) you have full rights to. For Windows systems I would recommend installing it into a C:\Applications folder that you create. I can't make similiar recommendations for Mac or Linux systems because I don't own those systems.
Once unzipped the folder HeroCombatManager has the following items:
- export folder - This folder contains the custom Hero Designer combat record export files that are needed to export characters from Hero Designer to be used by Hero Combat Manager.
- hcm.jar - This is the actual Hero Combat Manager Java program
- HCM_UserManual.pdf - This is the user manual
- HeroCombatManager.gif - part of the icon that shows up when Hero Combat Manager is running
- HeroCombatManager.ico - The desktop icon for Hero Combat Manager
- ReleaseNotes-#.##.txt - A list of bug fixes and new features in this release
You will need to manually create a short cut to your desktop. If you don't know how to do this use your favorite search engine to look it up on the Internet.