It is likely that telepaths have existed for millennia but it is only within the past two centuries that many races have begun to keep records of their growing numbers and officially use them within military and governmental capacities. They are, however, still rare individuals whose talent is to be cherished and never squandered. Only one in every thousand Humans, for example, has any telepathic potential and most of those are extremely weak and may be completely unaware of their gift. Nearly every race except the Narn contains a small telepath population, most of whom guard this precious resource jealously.
Some races, such as the Minbari, openly welcome telepaths among their own race as such individuals can do much to serve society as a whole. Others, however, retain a deep suspicion of all telepaths who do, after all, make the ideal blackmailers – a single stray thought can be instantly picked up by a telepath and with it, your deepest secret. Nowhere is this paranoia more evident than among the Humans, who have always valued privacy in their cultures, something that a telepath can utterly destroy. All Human telepaths, therefore, are required to join the Psi Corps, an institution designed to train telepaths to maximise their own potential and yet safeguard the privacy of the mundanes.
Each playable race has a maximum Psi Level.
- +15 Ego required
- Psionic Talent - 10 pts
- Psionic Power Skill (Ego based) - 3 pts
Psi Level 5 Powers (Higher Psi Levels will cost more points)
- Psi Level 5 = 19 points in Powers
- Psi Level 10 = 37 points in Powers
- Psi Level 12 = 43 points in Powers
Psionic Talents: Multipower
25-point reserve, (25 Active Points); all slots Psionic Skill Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) Notes: 5 Active Points for each Psi Level - 12 pts
- Surface Scan: Telepathy 4d6, Invisible Power Effects (Invisible to Mental Group; +1/4) (25 Active Points); Read Only (-1/2), Psionic Skill Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Surface Thoughts Only (-1/4), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Knocked Out (-1/4) - 1 pts
- Probe/Deep Scan: Telepathy 5d6 (25 Active Points); Read Only (-1/2), Psionic Skill Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Knocked Out (-1/4) - 1 pts
- Psionic Disruption: Mental Blast 2.5d6 (25 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Psionic Skill Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (1/2 DCV; -1/2) - 1 pts
- Psionic Defense: Mental Defense (5 points total) (5 Active Points); Psionic Talent Required (-1), Psionic Skill Roll (Skill roll; -1/2), Costs Endurance (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4); Notes: 1 Point of Mental Defense for each Psi Level - 1 pt
- Accidental Surface Scan: Detect A Class Of Things 11- (Mental Group), Increased Arc Of Perception (360 Degrees), Sense (12 Active Points); No Conscious Control (Only can be countered by Psi Skill Roll; -2), Psionic Talent Required (-1), Psionic Skill Roll (Skill roll; -1/2) - 3 pts
Very powerful Psionics are rumored to have additional mental powers, such as:
- Mind Control
- Mind Scan
Psi Level determines what kinds of 'careers' a human psionic can have:
- P-4s and P-5s are the most common commercial telepath levels, potent enough to be a valuable asset in negotiations.
- P-6 to P-9s are military- and government-employed telepaths. Used and hired for intelligence.
- P10 is the upper level of Psi Corps training, and are assigned as instructors at Psi-Corp. P10s can read the mental actions of other telepaths, perform long-range scans and block heavy scans from higher P12s for a short time.
- P11s are in administrative positions in the Psi-Corps but can also be assigned as Psi-Cops.
- P12 is the highest official rating and they can become Psi Cops; they are able to read the minds of others at long ranges, have sufficient strength to break through blocks weaker psionics may build around their own minds, and can manipulate the memories of other mundanes and lower-ranged telepaths like the P5s. P12s can even communicate with normals via telepathy.
All Human Psionics must take the following disadvantages.
Member of Psi Corp Disadvantages:
- Social Limitations: Member of Psi Corp (Very Frequently, Major) - 20 pts
- Distinctive Feature: Psi Corp Uniform (Concealable, Always Noticed, Detectable) - 15 pts
- Psychological Limitation: Psi Corp is family. "The Corps is mother, the Corps is father." (Uncommon, Strong) - 10 pts
Rogue Human Psionic Disadvantages:
- Psychological Limitation: Fear of Psi Corp (Common, Strong) - 15 pts
- Hunted by Psi Corp (Frequently, More Powerful, Harshly Punished, Extensive NCI) - 25 pts